Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Deduplication folder stays offline

Forum, We upgraded Backup Exec from 2010-R3 to 2012-SP1.  We have the dedupe option for both versions.  The upgrade was done two weeks ago and we have been running dedupe jobs successfully.  Now th...
    12 years ago

Symantec did get in touch with me, they had my email address wrong (that's been corrected).  Anyway here is the solution ... thank you Symantec for working with me!

The local D: drive, which has nothing but the Dedupe folder, had 5.8% free. BE needs 15% free space to mount the dedupe store.

FYI - This was never a problem with our installation of BE 2010 due to dedupe database limit of 16TB.  Our system has a 20TB disk array, so BE 2010 could never use up more than 80% of the space.  This is an upgraded server … 2010 to 2012.  This increased the db limit from 16 to 32TB.

I ran the space reclamation process from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130103

After this was done, we had over 20% of free space, but the de-duplication folder would not come online.

Service restarts and reboots would not help.

Deleted the deduplication folder (which leaves the data intact). This took about 10 min, I am guessing it removed all the catalogs for all the “virtual” OST and IMG media.

Using the create Dedupe folder wizard, imported this right back in.

It took about 5 min and then went online (lots of disk activity for drive D).

This started an inventory and catalog process for ~10TB of data.

We verified the above using "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\SGMon.exe", this allows us to see the IMG and OST files being processed. It took around 8 hours or so, but now we have all of our old data back the way it was.

I changed the BE setting for the dedup folder device “Percentage of disk space to reserve for non-Backup Exec operations” from 5% to 15%.