Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Duplicate to Deduplication Storage, Then to Tape: Which Copy is Used as the Source?

I'm trying to set up my backup job correctly and wanted to understand something about how Backup Exec operates.

We have two sites. Each location contains a media server (Backup Exec 2012), tape library and Exagrid appliance used for deduplication storage. The Exagrids contain local backups as well as replicated backups from it's partner device in the other site.

A pre-req of the a replicated Exagrid environment is to create jobs using the "Backup to Deduplication Disk Storage and Then Duplicate to Deduplication Disk Storage" template. Additionally, we'd also like if after this sequence completes, we add an additional stage to duplicate to tape.

My question is, if we create the job as shown (in the attachment), what copy of the backup set is used at the source? Is it:

• The remote (replicated) copy, since its sequenced after the first duplication stage, or...
  • The local copy, since really all job tasks are sourced to run on the local media server (the first duplication job simply monitors the content of the remote Exagrid share).
  • You can see the details of source to be used during the duplication, in the same screen you attached. The backup set in the source dedup folder will be used while duplicating to remote dedup folder. Backup set in remote dedup folder will be used for duplicating to tape.

For using local copy of backup set, add the stage from first level.

2 Replies

• You can see the details of source to be used during the duplication, in the same screen you attached. The backup set in the source dedup folder will be used while duplicating to remote dedup folder. Backup set in remote dedup folder will be used for duplicating to tape.

For using local copy of backup set, add the stage from first level.

• Yeah I ran a test job and saw that if it's sequenced after the duplicate to dedup job, that it uses that set as the source for the duplicate to tape job. I guess I originally thought the source field was used to define what task the duplicate job was linked to, but I guess not.