Forum Discussion

AlekseyMAM
Level 3
5 years ago

Getting a driver for a tape drive

The Server is not connected to the Internet. How can I get a tape driver? Dell Ultrium 5 Tape Drive.
  • Your first post was tagged as using Backup Exec 20, now you implied you are using Backup Exec 16.  Which Backup Exec version are you using?

What operating system version?

What is the interface to your tape drive, SCSI or SAS?

Based upon the photo, ITDT can read the serial number of the tape drive.  You would need to look at the "Details" screen of the tape drive in the Backup Exec GUI to see if Backup Exec is reading the serial number of the tape drive.  I see no reason that Backup Exec would NOT be reading the serial number of the tape drive, but I don't know why the tape drive is offline in Backup Exec yet. 

Is the tape drive "online" in Backup Exec when you restart the Backup Exec services?  Can you right click on the tape drive and click on "offline" to bring the tape drive back online?

What HBA are you using in the server for the tape drive?  Unless specifically stated in technote article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683 , tape libraries or tape drives attached to a RAID controller are not supported.

So far, I see no idication that you are missing a tape drive driver or that you need to do anything with the Hot-swappable Device Wizard (that is for USB or iSCSI devices).

15 Replies

• AlekseyMAM 

Use your internet-connected desktop/laptop to download the drivers.

You can then copy the downloaded file to the BE Server.

AlekseyMAM
      Level 3

Good afternoon Marianne!

Please tell me the link to download the driver.

Thank you very much for the answer!