Forum Discussion

16 years ago

getting Not Appendable (End marker unreadable)

I have Backup Exec 11d. I just ran an inventory on some of the tapes in our library (we have a Dell Powervault Tl2000) and 4 of them came back with 'Not appendable (end marker unreadable)'. what could be causing this? The media sets are configured to inifinte - allow appendable. Thanks

•  

that generally happens when a job does not end normally for some reason, and BackupExec does not write the End-Marker properly

10 Replies

•  

that generally happens when a job does not end normally for some reason, and BackupExec does not write the End-Marker properly

• Ken is correct.  The tapes are readable, up to that point, but they are not appendable, regardless of the append properties you give it.  They are overwritable and erasable.  The tapes are not bad.

If this keeps happening, check into your failing jobs.  SCSI issues and hardware issues are common causes.

• Try to clean the tape drives.

In the past when I had this error often enough, if a drive cleaning did not resolve the issue, I had drive issues.

• I have also seen this when the tape media itself was wearing out.  (Several years of regular use)  I'd say that if cleaning the drive doesn't help, consider using different tapes.

• to clarify my comment.... your tapes MAY be bad (as the others indicated).  What I meant to say was that your tapes are not bad simply because the end marker is unreadable.  There are multiple reasons a tape can be marked end-marker-unreadable.  You won't know the true reason until you do some more research or run into it again.

• Ok thanks guys for the responses, now lets say all the tapes i have in the library all have the end marker unreadable but they are all overwritable, will the tape that gets selected for that nights job be overwritten and then (hopefully) have the end marker written properly?

• Ok thanks guys for the responses, now lets say all the tapes i have in the library all have the end marker unreadable but they are all overwritable, will the tape that gets selected for that nights job be overwritten and then (hopefully) have the end marker written properly?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Should  be fine to use these tapes for Overwrite Jobs.  If the same thing happens again, you would need to start some intensive troubleshooting with the earlier suggestions

• Yesterday, when i made increament backup, it's faied with an unknown error, the details as follow:

Completed status: Failed
    Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
    Final error category: System Errors

and then i checked the tape with 'not appendable (end marker unreadable)'

also i can't backup using that tape, but i can restore the data in it.

how can i do if i still want to backup using that tape?
  • you can only overwrite the tape only if the end marker is unreadable.
    It is because backup exec do not know where it should continue to append the data without overwriting the current data