Forum Discussion

geekgadget
Level 4
13 years ago

Hardware requirement for BE 2010 installation& advice

Dear All,

I need to install Backup Exec 2010 on a client side who has the following requirements of licenses in their  environment.

1.Backup Exec 2010

2. Agents licenses for

a. Exchange Server

b. Sharepoint Server

c. SQL Server

d. for Windows systems

e. for Linux/Unix Servers

3.Deduplication suite

4.Library Expansion per device

5.System Recovery

They have around 1.5 TB of data and previously they are using ca ARCSERVE backup application in their environment  and for storage they have IBM LTO3 Tape storage and IBM DS 8100 SAN .

I want to request you to know what is the good hardware requirements in terms of CPU , RAM , Storage , Network  that should I ask for installing BE 2010 in their environment as they also want Deduplication option in their environment  and what should be the strategy   to phase out  ca ARCSERVE slowly from their environment and continue with BE 2010 and for how much time period they have to continue with ca ARC SERVE simultaneously with BE 2010 because if they have any issue then they recover data from their ARCSERVE backup and what may be the issues for  having both ca ARCSERVE and BE 2010 in an environment simultaneously

Should I go with the fresh tape cartridges in IBM LTO3 Tape storage and  they don’t request for SAN SSO license it means that their backup traffic is in their LAN environment  I have create the scenario that their environment should look like this for BE 2010 according to me ,see the attachment for this and please give your valuable suggestions and comments  on this scenario.

Regards

Geek gadget

• ...I'd cut over in 1 go to be honest. You're managing 2 different backup vendors at the same time.

I'd honestly do it this way:

1. install BE 2010 R3 on your new server, and patch with SP1 and any further patches. You can use LiveUpdate for this, or do so manually. 

2.Take a final backup using ARCserve (and include installation media if you have the ISO). Write-protect the tape physically and lock away.

3. Uninstall the ARcserve agents off the servers in question, and push-install the BE 2010 R3 agents to the servers.

4. Configure the jobs accordingly.

This is the way I'd do it, but it depends on your level of experience and comfort in doing it all-in-one.

24 Replies