Forum Discussion

10 years ago

How to configure monthly backups

Hi,

I need some advice on monthly backups. Right now, I'm running a full backup every Friday. The remaining days are incremental (Sat-Thurs).

The full backups have a data retention of 2 weeks and the incrementals are 1 week. That's all working great but if I needed to create monthly backups, can I bump the full backups up to 4 weeks and leave the incrementals were they're at? I've never understood how to handle the incrementals.

If you need more information, let me know. I want to make sure I'm covered each month.

Thank you!

• ...configure your weekly backups for 3 weeks and if you want to keep your monthlies for longer, set them for a year.

Thanks!

5 Replies

• Hi,

Easiest way to do this is to create another job or stage and run this on the last SUnday of every month. Make it a full and you've got your Monthly backup.

Obviously remember to set the correct append/OPP settings for that media set.

Thanks!

• Ok, so now I have it like this:

Full backups done every Friday ( 4 Week data retention)

Incremental backups done Sat-Thurs (1 week data retention) <<If that make sense?

Duplicate backup last Sunday of every month using the most recent full backup (30 day retention)

Is that a workable setup?

• 30 days and 4 weeks are almost the same so both your weekly and monthly backups would expire at the same time
  • ...configure your weekly backups for 3 weeks and if you want to keep your monthlies for longer, set them for a year.

Thanks!