Forum Discussion

fez7860
Level 3
6 years ago

Insert overwriteable media - not using full 6TB tape for backup

Hello,

I have 6TB back up tapes. When i run the back up is running fine until i hit about 23gb i get the error message to instert an overwriteable media. I insert the a different tape, i erase the tape and start the back up again however the same thing happens. It's not using the full 6TB.

Any advice to solve this?

13 Replies

• 1) Does this only happen with one tape or all your tapes?

2) Does this happens with this particular job or other jobs?

3) Did your job specify overwrite or append?  If append, try overwrite.

fez7860
      Level 3

This happens with all jobs.

I just checked the job and the meida set is set to - Keep Data Infintely - Do not allow overwrite.

and when job begins - Append to Media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

pkh

As your retention period setting says, your job will not overwrite your tape which means that it can only append and only use the unused portion of the tape and NEVER the full tape.

If you erase the tape and leave it in the Scratch media set then the job will be able to overwrite the tape.  If you move the tape back to this media set after it has been erased, it would be write protected immediately and you cannot overwrite the tape.

I would suggest that you read the section of the Admin Guide dealing with overwrite protection period and append period carefully and set the OPP and AP of this media set to some appropriate setting. Unless you have unlimited amount of tapes, setting OPP to Keep Data Infinitely is a recipe for job failures.