Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Installation of Backup Exec failed to install SQL Express

Good Morning,

I am upgrade my Backup Exec 2012 to Backup Exec 2014.

The Microsoft SQL Server upgrade may fail because the account security identifiers (SIDs) of the SQL service group accounts created during the Backup Exec SQL instance installation cannot be mapped to the SIDs currently assigned to the SQL service group accounts.

I found the article below

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH216807.html

However, the C solution in this article can help me.

But, if I run the Backup Exec installation again, I will lose my current jobs???

• No idea...however, if the upgrade failed it would be rolled back. If you have to make the change as per C, my recommendation would be as follows:

1. Dump a backup of the registry to disk before doing anything;

2. Stop the BE services and then grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders.

I always used to stop any AV installed as I found McAfee would corrupt the SQL Express database during a number of my upgrades.

Thanks!

5 Replies

• No idea...however, if the upgrade failed it would be rolled back. If you have to make the change as per C, my recommendation would be as follows:

1. Dump a backup of the registry to disk before doing anything;

2. Stop the BE services and then grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders.

I always used to stop any AV installed as I found McAfee would corrupt the SQL Express database during a number of my upgrades.

Thanks!

• Hello CraigV,

Thanks for your reply.

How I saved the Data/Catalogs Folders?

You can send an article explanation the issue?

• Simple...stop all the BE services, and go to the installation directory of Backup Exec. You will see the Data & Catalogs folders. Copy them to another location.

You can stop the BE services individually within Services.msc, or using BEutility.exe which is what I prefered.

Thanks!