Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Intelligent Disaster Recovery for Backup Exec 2010 R3

Hi,

I have been using Backup Exec 2010 R3 for some time and would like to start using the IDR option.  I have read some articles and blogs and came across this forum article https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recovery-idr-backup-exec-2010-r3 which mentions that when the duplicate option is used the .dr file is not created.

Our backups are setup through policy to Backup-to-Disk and then duplicate to tape.  Does this mean that I cannot use the IDR option?

Regards

Brian

• Yes.  If you want to do IDR restore from tape, then do a backup directly to tape.

8 Replies

• This means that you can do an IDR restore from your disk backup set, but not from your tape backup set.  You would be able to see in your joblog when you do the backup to disk, that the .dr file is created after a successful backup.

• Just to confirm I understand correctly.

1) If I continue to use the same policy i.e. B2D and then Duplicate, will the .dr file still be created during the B2D activity.

2) If the media server had to become unavailable due to some disaster, would I be able to use IDR with the tape backup?  I read about using the manual recovery option but just need to confirm.

• 1. Yes 2. No. You cannot use the duplicated tape backup set for IDR
  • Re Item 2.  I am a bit confused on the utility of the IDR.  If we consider a disaster scenario, I would assume that the server and also media server would become unavailable and hence the reason for the tape backup that is taken offsite.

My idea was to initially restore the media server (I read on the forum that the media server could be backed up tp tape directly to create a dr file).  Once the media server has been restored, I intended to restore the other servers using a manual recovery as per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24208.

Would the above manual process work as your answer seems to imply that it is not possible.

• When you are restoring a remote server, you are actually using Method #3, i.e., restoring from a remote media server.  If you click on the link in the box with this method then you would find it is describing an automated restore.  If you are using a tape library, how do you specify which tape in the library you want for the restore?  The .dr file will contain a pointer to the correct tape.

• Many thanks for your response.  Just to be sure I get this right;  if I use a B2D and then duplicate option the .dr file will always point to the B2D folder and it is not possible to do a restore from tape.  This applies even if I try to use the manual recovery.

• Yes.  If you want to do IDR restore from tape, then do a backup directly to tape.