Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Intelligent Disaster Recovery is a joke. Don't buy it.

I spent $500, and countless hours preparing to use IRD to do a complete recovery of a production Windows 2003 domain controller running Exchange 2003.

In the middle of the recovery, the IRD software could not connect to the media server. I got the error "Could not add service account to the local administrator group". After 3 hours on the phone with Veritas support, they said I should give up on IRD and just do a manual restore.

SO why did I spend all this money and time on something that didn't work??

I have requested a full refund for this product and don't recommend that anyone buy it. I am using Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10d.

P.S. the manual recovery worked like a champ. BackupExec works, IRD does not.

Aaron Gabrielson
IT Manager
Redmond Minerals
801-319-6876

17 Replies

• Hi,

I dont agree with what Ken has mentioned:
    ===
    After all, what does IDR do?

Install a base Windows
    Restore
    Boot
    ===

It depends upon what role your server plays:
    1. File&Print server:
    Then it's a same recovery as normal Windows recovery but one should remember the partition size. Isn't it?

2. Domain controller:
    Just boot from valid IDR bootable CD --> depending on OS perform ASR by pressing F2 --> Supply valid .DR --> Restore data (X:/System State or Shadow Copy) --> After reboot the machine is Domain Controller. There is no need to go to DSRM = Directory Services Restore Mode and run NTDSUTIL.

3. SQL server:
    Recovers machine with Master and Model databases. Rest all of the databases can be recovered from SQL data backed up with SQL agent.
    Whereas in normal Windows recovery, you need to rebuild Master if an Offline backup is not available and then perform restore. In some cases, you need to install SQL application as well and you have to remember the settings.

4. Exchange Server:
    Recovers machine with Exchange services running, automatically creates mailboxes, You just need to restore Exchange data that was backed up with Exchange agent.
    In manual recovery it is needless to say, the Offline backup is must.

Further, I think slipstreamed CD means service pack integrated. If so, then it is very useful in terms of hardware support! As an example, If one version of OS is not supporting a particular NIC and the support for that NIC is added in the service pack, I do not require to supply OEM driver CD/floppy while recovery if I have created IDR CD using service pack integrated OS CD.

- Mukund P
  • If IDR works for you, Great, Congratulations

But I've see too many post like Aaron's.

He has been on the phone with Veritas/Symantec TechSupport, who have walked him through this, and it STILL doesn't work.

If he had done a standard MS recovery he would still have been days/weeks ahead of where this worthless POS has him
  • I had the unfortunate time using IDR. All I did was replace the SCSI Hard Drives in my DC and then perform the IDR from CD. All was going well until it performed the system state restore which stopped after 99% with a "error in communications" error.

How could there be a communications error if the darn thing was restoring all hunky dorey....? anyway,

After rebooting the DC I now get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) now know as a Stop Screen saying that the boot drive is not bootable.

Can anybody help with this one.

Fingers crossed.Message was edited by:
    Clive Hunt
  • Tired of non-helpful tech support? I have yet to gain any helpful/useful information from the Symantec/Veritas techs. They want to move as many topics to the "answered" section as possible. The "two-day, automatically assumed answered" policy is absurd, in my opinion.

For these reasons, I have started a new backup exec group at google.

If you're interested, please check it out, and spread the word if you like it.

http://groups.google.com/group/backupexec
  • Personally, I prefer ittoolbox.com. I am sure there is already a Veritas Group there...
  • i find ittoolbox's interface to be a bit overwhelming. and the pop-up boxes asking for registration and industry info, are not the most inviting...

but i'll def keep it as a resource. thanks for the tip.
  • Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
    and would be moved to answered questions pool.