Forum Discussion

Leo2011
Level 4
13 years ago

Is there a better method to find old data?

Hello,

I have only been at my new place for a few months.  Therefore, I am just getting familiar with all our backup history.  This created a challenge when I was asked to restore some files.  The data required was from approximately March of this year (2011).

The cumbersome task for me was to look through each tape.  Of course the tapes that covered that period have been removed from the tape library.  Therefore, I have had to go and manually search through the “Offline Media” by going to “Media” tab within Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Unfortunately this is like looking for a “needle in a haystack”.  Is there a faster method for finding old data?  Is there a “Search” option for finding specific files or folders?

• Hi,

When you run a restore job you specify which date the data must be restored from. If you selected the correct range, it's either going to give you 1 tape (if a very specific date), or a list of tapes if spread over a couple of days.

If this doesn't satisfy your needs, you could run a catalog search, assuming you've kept the catalogs that long. If not, you've got to go the long route and recatalog the tapes.

Thanks!

5 Replies

• Hi,

When you run a restore job you specify which date the data must be restored from. If you selected the correct range, it's either going to give you 1 tape (if a very specific date), or a list of tapes if spread over a couple of days.

If this doesn't satisfy your needs, you could run a catalog search, assuming you've kept the catalogs that long. If not, you've got to go the long route and recatalog the tapes.

Thanks!

• Thanks,

One of the biggest challenges I find is the retrieval of small pieces of data or a single folder.  It is just when I select the restore option and I go to “View by Resource” – I expect to find more content than I have.  My solution at this time has been to go back and re-catalog all my archived tapes.

Another hopefully related question; when I view my offline media – how come some appear in black text while other appears in blue (on my screen)? 

• Blue one's are overwritable and Black one's are overwrite protected

• Thank you again everyone...

I had a number of issues with my tape library and have since had the unit replaced.  I have also gone back and recatalog most of my tapes.  I have a better understanding of how this process works.  There is still some confusion on my part...but I am getting there.

smiley

• Thanks for the feedback Leo. You can also reference the BE Admin Guide...it gives a lot more information, although not always in plain terms. That's where the forums can help, but it is a good thing to have. Download it with each new revision of BE, or check it out in the installation directory.