Forum Discussion

17 years ago

Manual Disaster Recovery Procedure Not Working

Hi All,

I'm trying to perform a manual disaster recovery by following the procedure in the online manual (ppg 659-662)

I have no problems through step 18, but after restarting the server in Directory Services Restore Mode, the only service that starts is the BE Remote Agent.  BE Device & Media Service fails to start, and as a result, all other BE services fail to start.

I've checked the dependencies on the BE Device & Media service and there are two dependencies - Remote Proceedure Call (RPC) and SQL Server (BKUPEXEC).  Both of these services are started.

I restarted the server in 'normal' mode and was able to start all service using a domain admin account, but obviously this won't help me in DSRM mode.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

2 Replies

• Have you restored system state yet?

If the services are not starting with the DSRM. There could be issues with SQL. You will have to troubleshoot that.

But I can't see a reason why BE services are startign in normal mode. Hope you didn't do a IDR restore. The SQL components are not restored during an IDR restore.

• Thanks Ariesbabu, for your reply.

Step #9 in the procedure states "Select all sets from the full backup that contain logical drives on the hard disk. ... Make sure you include System State or Shadow Copy components as part of the restore selections."

So, to answer your questions, yes, the System State had been restored at this point, but appears that it's necessary to restore a second time in DSRM.

And no, I have not used IDR.  This is a manual restore as outlined in the procedure in the manual.