Forum Discussion

Joll89
Level 3
10 years ago

Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP3 backup issue

Hi :-)   We have just upgraded our Exchange servers and after this was done i had to install the service patch on our Backup exec server for the Exchange as well so i was able to backup the mai...
    10 years ago

Are you attempting to back up the same Exchange 2010 Server with 2 different versions of Backup Exec? If so, that is not going to work as it is unsupported. The remote agent must be to the same level as the media server. If you are push jobs to one server with two versions the remote agent is not going to function properly.

Also, Exchange 2010 has more requirements than any other version that need to be met. I would advise the following:

1. Complete the upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3

2. Complete the steps listed HERE for the requirements to backup Exchange 2010

3. Update the Remote Agent on the Exchange Server by following the steps provided HERE

4. Reboot the Backup Exec and Exchange Server after upgrading is completed

5. From the Backup Exec console create a new job for the Exchange 2010 Server

6. Separate the Information Store in an instance of its own per best practice methods found HERE

7. Delete any jobs that migrated over that were backing up the OLD version of Exchange that is no longer in use

If you are unable to browse the Information Store for Exchange 2010 from the Backup Exec 2010 R3 Server try going into the properties of the agent on the Exchange server and confirm the entries in the publish tab. It should list the Backup Exec Server by name and IP address. Remove any entries of the old Backup Exec 2010 R2 server and restart the Remote Agent service. Refer to the following document for detailed steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65151

Let me know if this helps