Forum Discussion

chandz89
Level 3
13 years ago

My Backup Exec (Backup-to-disk) create bkf files and img folders.

Dear All,

I'm an engineer and maintenance a lot of customer,

one of my customer using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 (Backup-to-disk).

Why Symantec Backup Exec create bkf files and img folders.???

Can i delete img folders??? How to disable feature for create img folder automatically???

Need your expert guidance please,,,

Because i'm not install just maintenance so i must check the detail configuration,

Thank You

• If you backup the same data but delsect GRT, then (depending on compression) all it will do is move the backup data that was inside an IMG folder to being inside a BKF file.  This therefore could result in the same disk space being used.

As such if you have concerns abouth disk space and have picked on the IMG folders as your problem, you may need to look at:

1) Do the disk based jobs start as Overwrite or Append - they should start as Overwrite as sometimes old IMG folders do not get reclaimed if you start as Append in the job settings

2) When you run jobs that create new IMG folders do you ever see reclaim messages in the Backup Exec alerts list as if it is working correctly you should periodically see these messages.

3) Check the overwrite protection period is not set too long or on Infinite (but review point 6 as part of this)

4) Increase the amount of disk space for your backups

5) Look into changing to an incremental backup strategy

6) Review how long you keep backup data for against you business requirements as this kind of information may help in justifying extra costs for more disk space.

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion