Forum Discussion

15 years ago

PST Corrupt File

I have been getting the PST Corrupt file error on several employees for some time now. I’ve been documenting whose PST file is effected and notice there is a pattern with only a few (happens all the ...
    15 years ago
    Thanks for the replies.

I know about the registry edit solution. In fact I had that implemented for a time until it was pointed out to me that there was a danger that the PST files could be corrupted and we needed to monitor which ones were being flagged. It is essential that these files get backed up. From what I see these files are not corrupted as I periodically go around to each computer and run a repair and compact on them.

It appears that the solution would be to have two jobs sharing the same tape. One job would use AOFO and the other would append to that tape the backup of the database servers and exchange server. Because of the complex environment we have to ‘juggle’ the sequence in which server is first and so on. We back up to disk and to tape every night. Because we take the tapes off site and they are kept across town we backup essential data that would need to be quickly restored. Therefore we stagger the backup selection on both jobs to avoid trying to backup the same server at the same time. We also have servers that need to be backed up after a certain job runs on that server. As you can see this can be like juggling knives. Adding another backup job to the mix would make it that much more difficult.

The best solution would be for Symantec to allow you to choose which servers to use AOFO in a single backup job and not have this a blanket option for the entire job. This could be implemented the same way the exchange server agent works. You install the AOFO agent on the servers you want to use it on and those that don’t have it are backed up with whatever agent you have installed such as the regular agent or exchange agent.

Again I thank everyone for their input.