Forum Discussion

ecshop
Level 3
17 years ago

Purging old backups?

Hi all,
We use Backup Exec 11d to backup the Exchange storage groups, which accumulates to about 55 GB per night (Full Backups), onto a NAS. Problem is that we're down to about 150GB on the NAS. Where can I check to see how many days of backup until purging starts? Or is there a setting of how many days until purge I can change? Help appreciated!

8 Replies

• I also have this issue...

I think defining an short overwrite protection period in the media set may solve the problem, but I'm not sure..

Must remember to come back here and take a look at the answers.. :smileyhappy:
  • The only thing I can think of is to erase the old media from Devices. I'm not sure if that's even a good idea. Please help!
  • In your job description, have you selected the "Enable restore of individual items" option?  If so, the job is considered a GRT (Granular Restore Technology) job, and will create IMG folders as well as BKF files.  And the IMG folders DO NOT obey the standard overwrite rules, but will only overwrite when the disk volume is full or you have reached the Disk Space Reserve specified for the B2D folder regardless of the OPP of the media set

If the option has not been selected, change the Overwrite Protection on the media set to whatever you want/need  Also be sure that the Global Media Management is set to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 12-20-2007 10:34 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I don't have "Restore From Individual Items" enabled since it doesn't work for our setup (GRT only works for backup-to-disc that is a local volume, but we're using NAS). Having that disabled, I checked under Media > Media Sets > Right click on "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite" for properties. Under Media Set periods, the Overwrite protection period is set to "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite", and Append period "Infinite - Allow append", both with NONE. Am I suppose to change something here? Because all I see is hours, days, years, etc.

On the other hand, in Job Monitor, when I right-click for properties of the that job, in Destination > Device and Media, the option in "When job begins..." is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available".

I'm not sure if this is correct, exactly which backup sets will be overwritten if so?

Message Edited by ecshop on 12-20-2007 02:02 PM
  • from the media set properties, change the OPP - Overwrite Protection so that data will be saved as long as you require.  two week, three weeks, whatever.

A long as the "use overwriteable before scratch" is selected, once the OPP has been reached, backup exec should start overwriting the old BKF files, starting with the oldest
  • Okay. Normally we would set the backup to 30 days, but since the backup device is slightly not big enough for up to 30 days, I set the Overwrite protection period to 25 days (tonights backup will be day 24). I don't see where "Use overwriteable before scratch" is located. Is that only for tape backups? Thanks for your help.
  • To set defaults for media management

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.

2. On the Properties pane, under Settings, click Media Management

3. Select the appropriate options

See the Admin Guide page 274

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 12-20-2007 11:34 AM