Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Re-add Tape Drive - Backup Exec 2014 - Server 2012R2

Hi,

I had an issue with Backup Exec 2014 where my jobs would always fail. I don't belive there is a physical isue with the device because tapes can inventory and erase, I can see the device in device manager. I cn also backup to USB without issues.

I figured I would try removing he tape drive from storage an readding it (Storage>Right Click Tape Drive>Disiable>Right Click Tape Drive>Remove).

However, now when I go to Configure Storage>Tape Storage>Run Hot Swappable Device Wizard the tape drive isn't detected.

I see that tapeinst.exe isn't avaiaible in Server 2012.

How do I re add this tape drive?

All I have tried so far is restarting the backup exec services, there doesn't appear to be much documentation around for 2014 any more.

Thank you.

• If the tape drive is visible in Windows Device manager, then re-starting the BE services "should" be sufficient to get the tape drive re-discovered and re-added.  There is no configuration needed for a tape device to be discovered or added.

If the tape drive is NOT visible in Windows Device manager, then rebooting the server would be the first step.

2 Replies

• If the tape drive is visible in Windows Device manager, then re-starting the BE services "should" be sufficient to get the tape drive re-discovered and re-added.  There is no configuration needed for a tape device to be discovered or added.

If the tape drive is NOT visible in Windows Device manager, then rebooting the server would be the first step.

christofchristo
      Level 2

Thank you sir! 

Was showing in device manager, restarting services didn't work, rebooted server, tape drive discovered, backup now working.

Many thanks!