Forum Discussion

DaranDazza
Level 4
9 years ago

Backup Exec 2010 fails overwrite after ITDT write/test to tape

I have found that when ITDT is used to write test a tape in a Tape Drive that backup Exec cannot then write to that tape unless I have BE10 do a quick erase. This discovery came about after some o...
    9 years ago

If VJwares move to scratch idea does not work then it is possible that ITDT is laying down a non-standard header as it is performing a destructive test of writing data to the tape as part of the test.

A quick erase then resets the header (and moves to scratch) allowing Backup Exec to use it

Whilst you might be able to script (using BEMCLI) a request to erase any tape in the drive there is no automated way for Backup Exec to just decide to do it. However if you did this and someone left an important tape in the drive you might lose data.

Also if you are using a robotic library you would need to know which slot (or slots) the affected tapes are in to write the scripts asd you would need to want to quick erase a tape that contains a recent backup.

As such I don't think trying to script/automate it would be a good idea as you could lose data if the wrong tape is erased