Forum Discussion

scottestes
Level 2
9 years ago

Recover expired backup set from tape

I am trying to restore a mailbox from a saved mailbox database.  The backup set is on tape and shows as expired, therefore it does not show up when selecting from the backup sets, and it is within the date range.  The backup set was duplicated to tape for long term storage.  I tried duplicating the backup set back to disk and changed the expiry date and ran a catalog over it.  It still does not show.  What am I missing?  Can the expiration date of the backup set on tape be changed? 

Thanks to all

• Even if the backup set had expired, as long as the tape had not been overwritten, the backup set is still on the tape. This is why you can duplicate it to disk.. Go to the Storage tab, find the disk storage to which you have duplicated the backup set. Click on it and you should see the list if backup sets on it. You can then right-click on the desired backup set and select restore

4 Replies

• Even if the backup set had expired, as long as the tape had not been overwritten, the backup set is still on the tape. This is why you can duplicate it to disk.. Go to the Storage tab, find the disk storage to which you have duplicated the backup set. Click on it and you should see the list if backup sets on it. You can then right-click on the desired backup set and select restore
  • A tape might expire, but if it has data on it, the data is not expired...it would have to be overwritten to see the data destroyed.

• The tape was not expired, just the backup set.   I am doing a restore selecting using the option to retrieve a mailbox.  This particular save does not appear when selecting where to restore from.  Is the same type as the others.

• This sometimes happens.  Which is why I asked you to start your restore from the media.