Forum Discussion

bsarazin
Level 3
14 years ago

Remote Agent question

A freeze.bat file was placed on a vm (in backupScripts.d) when backup exec remote agent for windows servers was installed on the machine. I need to know if freeze.bat should execute during the backup.

Currently, it does not and I think it may be an issue.

I have talked with vmware, but they tell me it is a Backup Exec issue and vice versa. If this bat file should execute, then at least I know who to talk to (vmware). I feel like I have been chasing my tail on this.

The machine is Windows 2003 Server SP2 with RAWS installed.
vSphere 4.0
Backup Exec 2010

• HI There,

freeze.bat  file is placed by Backup Exec on the VM when you install the remote agent.   This file is placed so that VMWARE can use this file to run scripts before and after the SNAPSHOT process that aids in getting the guest operating system to pause the activity in Windows so that the snapshot can occur without interruption.

When Backup Exec sends a backup request to VMWARE, then VMWARE goes to search for the existence of these files.  If they exist, the BAT files will be run by VMWARE before and after the snapshot creation.  If there is an issue running the scripts, the snapshot creation will not succeed and cause the backup to fail.  The following error can be seen in the TASK & EVENTS tab for the CREATE VIRTUAL MACHINE SNAPSHOT event on the virtual machine that was selected for backup.

"CREATING A QUIESCED SNAPSHOT FAILED BECAUSE THE (USER-SUPPLIED) CUSTOM PRE-FREEZE SCRIPT IN THE VIRTUAL MACHINE EXITED WITH A NON-ZERO RETURN CODE"

so to conclude this .bat file is placed in the folder by Backup Exec so that VMWARE can use this .bat file to take a snapshot. 

if this .bat is not executed during the backup then you may contact VMWARE, however, if you find something wrong in the .bat file then you should call Symantec as they have provided this file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tech29

10 Replies

• Check the setting in the backup job properties --Pre and post command section
    Check if the script is ran on the media server or on the remote server.
  • There are no pre or post commands, but they are set to run on each server backed up. Is this configured properly?
  • To excute the Freez.bat you would need to set up the pre and post command .. So when the backup starts it excutes the batch file ..
  • HI There,

freeze.bat  file is placed by Backup Exec on the VM when you install the remote agent.   This file is placed so that VMWARE can use this file to run scripts before and after the SNAPSHOT process that aids in getting the guest operating system to pause the activity in Windows so that the snapshot can occur without interruption.

When Backup Exec sends a backup request to VMWARE, then VMWARE goes to search for the existence of these files.  If they exist, the BAT files will be run by VMWARE before and after the snapshot creation.  If there is an issue running the scripts, the snapshot creation will not succeed and cause the backup to fail.  The following error can be seen in the TASK & EVENTS tab for the CREATE VIRTUAL MACHINE SNAPSHOT event on the virtual machine that was selected for backup.

"CREATING A QUIESCED SNAPSHOT FAILED BECAUSE THE (USER-SUPPLIED) CUSTOM PRE-FREEZE SCRIPT IN THE VIRTUAL MACHINE EXITED WITH A NON-ZERO RETURN CODE"

so to conclude this .bat file is placed in the folder by Backup Exec so that VMWARE can use this .bat file to take a snapshot. 

if this .bat is not executed during the backup then you may contact VMWARE, however, if you find something wrong in the .bat file then you should call Symantec as they have provided this file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tech29

• It is my understanding that freeze.bat needs to execute in order to start Backup Exec VSS Provider and stop Volume Shadow Copy (if running). Am I correct in this? Since, freeze.bat is not executing at all, this is not happening. Therefore, it would appear to be a vmware issue. Ultimately, I need to modify the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts, but since freeze.bat is not running, I need to get this issue resolved first. 
  • Are you backing up the system as a Remote agent (RAWS) backup or as an AVVI Backup?

pre-freeze-script.bat and post-thaw-script.bat are used by the AVVI backup woth application GRT enabled, don't think either of these are used by a RAWS backup and they also may not be called if you are not enabling AVVI Application GRT.

• RAWS backup. If these scripts aren't used by RAWS backup is there any way to quiesce the snapshot. I need to shut down services before the snapshot is taken then turn them back on after, much like pre-freeze and post thaw scripts.

• I don't understand why freeze.bat would be installed in the vmware backupScripts.d folder and the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts would be installed in the VSS Provider folder with RAWS if it does not use them.