Forum Discussion

wajeeh_r
Level 3
11 years ago

Removing Robotic library slot from Partition

Dear All,

I've 1/8 G2 autoloader with total 8 slots. I created partitions in this and assigned slot 2,3 to One partition. This partition is associated to Media Set 'Weekly' which is weekly full backup job. I designated the two slots and this partition only for exchange server information store backup. Since our environment is small the data which is taken as full backup on tape is only near 130GB (Full weekly backup) while the capacity of tape is 2.3 TB.

I realized it does not make sense to keep other tape i.e. slot 3 also assigned to this partition. My current settings for this media set is for OPP as 4weeks and append 'allow infinite'.

Thought coming to my mind to release one slot i.e. 3 from this partition but concerned about the exchange backup job which is assigned on this partition which presently consists of two slots. What will be the impact ? the job will continue to run on Slot 2 tape ? What is the correct procedure in Backup Exec to get this done.

Please advise and share.

Kind Regards,

• If you have only one slot in your partition, then you must ensure that you NEVER write to the end of the tape in that single slot.  If you do write to the end of the tape and the job requires another overwritable tape for it to continue, then there is no way you can introduce this tape into the library and the job will fail.

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion