Forum Discussion

klx_out
Level 3
18 years ago

Restore exchange 2003 information store to different path, not original source

I have Vertias 9.1 witch agent for excahnge and I have a backup of information store, I need to restore but I want to restore to another server, because I like to restore with another server, I need to restore priv file, ... (information store)

How Can I do this?

Thanks

2 Replies

• I am also interested in finding out some information similar to this issue...

I have several backup sets that are full (successful) MS Exchange 2003 database backups. I am attempting to restore the database files (particularly the priv1.edb) to a non-Exchange file server in order to use Ontrack PowerControls (limited version) to be able to extract individual mailbox stores if needed.

I have attempted this several times and within the first minute of the restore process the jobs error out with the following information:

Alert.. "Restore <job name> -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives."  The Job Log... "Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives."
                    "Final error category: Resouce Errors"

The System Logon Account is set correctly with Domain Admin permissions, the password is correct.
    The device I am attemtping to restore the database is accesible/online as it is the same Server in which the Backup Exec v.9.1 Rev. 4691. I have stopped and started all services using the BackExecServicesMgr.exe utility.

I am able to restore any data from the same backup sets. The backup sets are stored on LTO3 tapes on and Overland Tape Library system.

I have also tried setting the restore job's settings for Exchange with the folowing settings:
        X  Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes
        X  No loss restore...
        X  Commit after restore completes (I have ran the job with this option NOT checked as well.)

I am using File Redirection, not Exchange Redirection... other than those settings specified I ran with the defaults on all the other settings.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advanced.

<posting this inquiry in new thread as well>

Mike Kehm
    I.T. Systems Admin
    CBPR, Las Vegas
  • I am also trying to perform the same task and would love an answer. I have searched around for a while now trying to see if you can redirect Exchange data.

I have tapes going back to 10 years old for achieves. I am currently trying to restore all the data and put it onto a new media to ensure that the data stays alive. I don’t quite understand why Backup Exec would not allow you to restore Exchange data to a different or non-active environment, as I’m sure I’m not the only one that uses tapes to achieve data with. Which makes me believe there must be a way to do this.

The only solutions I have found for this issue so far are: recreate the server and restore to that then import all the emails to a PST file, or tape duplication. I am still looking into duplication although it solves my problem (if it works) there is still the issue of redirecting Exchange data.