Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Retention period

One more question .. Is the Retention period is something to be changed from Policies itself or need to change from the storage tab???

Thanks,

Nayab

• Retention can be set from both "Backup and Restore" Tab and "Storage" Tab. You can set it from any place either "Backup and Restore" or "Storage"tab, it will be applied to the Backup Sets (.bkf files) being created by that backup job. For further clarification I have attached the screenshots. Hope it helps.

5 Replies

• You can't change the retention period the backup set after it is created in a disk storage.

To change the retention period of future backup sets, you got to change the retention settings in your jobs.

• Hi Nayab,

There is no way to reduce the retention period you have set for the backup sets once after the backup is completed.

However, if you have set a very less retention period (i.e. Keep data for: <__> days) for a disk storage backup and now you dont want the backup sets to expire and get deleted. You can keep the backup sets till whenever you want by retain function.

Check the article below:

How to Retain or Prevent a Backup Set from being deleted

• I am looking to change my retention for future backups only . Please could you tell me where i can change it so that my future backups will fall under this retention period. Is that i need to change from clients by editing backups else i need to change from the storage side as well ???

Thanks

Nayab

• In BE 2012:

1) Tape and RDX retention is still controlled by media set Overwrite and Append periods

2) Disk Storage (B2D) and Dedup retention is controlled by the settings in the job stages themselves. (DLM instead of media sets) - in the future RDX will move to this mechanism as well.

• Retention can be set from both "Backup and Restore" Tab and "Storage" Tab. You can set it from any place either "Backup and Restore" or "Storage"tab, it will be applied to the Backup Sets (.bkf files) being created by that backup job. For further clarification I have attached the screenshots. Hope it helps.