Forum Discussion

Loppie
Level 3
10 years ago

SBS 2011 IDR Backup job hangs on system state WMI Part

Hello all.

At one of our customers we have a Windows SBS 2011 Physical server (HP Proliant ML 350 Gen8). This server backups to a QNAP NAS.

We use Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition. (SP4 installed on this sbs server)

I have created a Full IDR backup job which runs daily. Since a few weeks this job hangs on the system state part specificly the WMI part.

BE has been updated to SP4 all Windows Server updates have been installed and I have rebooted the server multiple times without success.

When I run a separate System state backup it finishes without problems.

What can I do to make this job run again? (I Want to have a Disaster recovery backup for this SBS server.)

thanks!

gr

Leo

13 Replies

• I'm experiencing the exact same issue with BE 2014 SP1 on a SBS 2011 server.

All VSS Writes are in stable condition and still the backup fails when trying to make a SDR enabled backup.

When I put System State in a seperate job and exclude it from the other job, both the jobs run flawless.

I'm now running a test to see if it helps to put Exchange in a seperate job, like VJWare suggested.

I'll keep you posted.

• Hi,

same Problem.

Server: 2008 R2 all Updates. Symantec Backup 2012 SP4 full Updates.

Re Register VSS dlls

restart Servers

Re Install Symantec Agent

delete Job

Im seraching this weeckend but i have not found the error.

Backup hang on System?state / WMI

if i start a short backup with only system?state the backup runs normal

Have anybody fix this error ?

• I've had this same problem since BE2012, just upgraded to 2014 hoping to resolve and the problem is still there.

A couple of items not mentioned in this thread, bengine starts consuming memory and keeps going until it consumes all available memory. If you let the job run long enough, like 12 hours in the WMI stage it will eventually complete successfully just no one else can use the server cause all the memory is being used.

I opened a case with Symantec and provided all sorts of debug info and worked with them for months when i intitially had this problem then gave up when nothing was working and i was spending way too much time on it. Case 03715575

One thought i had was maybe it actually has something to do with SDR, it's the only difference between running a system states separately is that the backup is not a SDR Backup. So maybe the WMI is actually completing and then it goes to do something related to SDR and hangs. 

I really wish someone at Symantec would give us a resolution to this problem.