Forum Discussion

AndyTh
Level 3
15 years ago

Seagate Hornet Travan NS and Windows XP

Sorry if this is dumb but I have been beatin my self up all day tring to get this to work. The deal is that I don't use this drive or back up and more but have some old info that I need of tapes made with this drive and BackUp Exec back in windows 98 I believe.

I have the drive installed and Windows XP seems to recognize it just fine, it is in the device manager with no alerts. Also it is listed in the Computer Managment screen and the tape is listed in their also so it is reading the tape.

Now I just asumed, LOL, that the tape drive would show up along with the hard drives and CD's in My Computer, guess that would be to simple. So I dug out the old Backup Exec software to put in and of course it wont install to windows XP.

So please tell me how I can get my files, it is a shame that you make all this back up stuff and then you can't get it back when you need it because nothing is compatible.

Andy
  • 1. Buy the version of Seagate Backup Exec that works on XP, or
    2. Install the tape drive in a Win95/98 machine and use the old Backup Exec software.  You can network the PCs together to pull the files from the tape to the XP machine.  A little awkward but it works.  But then you have extra computers laying around - if you don't then maybe option 1 would be cheaper for you. 

Lyon

4 Replies

• Hi Andy,

Download a trial version of Backup Exec 12.5, install it on that workstation and restore the files like that. You will have to inventory and catalog that tape before restoring though.

You can get it from here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51791

It is a free 60-day trial license.
    What you haven't said is the version you're trying to restore from...?

Laters!
  • If the tape device shows up in the XP device manager - you might be able to use NTBackup to read the tape - of course this might depend on what the version of Backup Exec originally was - especially as I vaguely remember a cut down workstation/oem version that was discontinued ages ago.
  • 1. Buy the version of Seagate Backup Exec that works on XP, or
    2. Install the tape drive in a Win95/98 machine and use the old Backup Exec software.  You can network the PCs together to pull the files from the tape to the XP machine.  A little awkward but it works.  But then you have extra computers laying around - if you don't then maybe option 1 would be cheaper for you. 

Lyon

• To the best of my knowledge, BackupExec for Windows Desktops and BackupExec for Windows Servers are not compatible.  That is BEWS cannot read BEWD data.

As such you will need to follow Lyon's suggestion #2.  That is: install the old software on a Win98 machine to do your restore