Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Selection Lists - Auto Folder Selection

Hi All,

I'm using Backup Exec 12.5 on a Windows 2003 R2 server and have recently had a very near miss of loosing data following a move from one server to another.

One thing I would like to do in the future is to ensure any new folders created in volumes (i.e. f:\ g:\ etc) on servers are automatically added to the selection list...

Now I notice that certain selected folders already do this and wondered why it is different?

Is it because the entire folder has been selected and then items have been excluded, whereas when an item has been specifically selected further down the tree it, that volume will not add any new folders created above the selection?

Apologies if this don’t make sense.

Cheers

Lance

• Place a check mark on the drive and then uncheck the folders which you dont need

for backup. Then create new folders on the drive, the new folder will be automatically

selected in the backup selection list. You dont have to manually select the new folders

for backup.

7 Replies

• Place a check mark on the drive and then uncheck the folders which you dont need

for backup. Then create new folders on the drive, the new folder will be automatically

selected in the backup selection list. You dont have to manually select the new folders

for backup.

• Thanks Amol, do you know if this is documented anywhere?

I need to referrence it for a Lessons Learned.

• Lance,

The simplest way is to test this yourself.

Luckily all you need to do is create a folder in Windows which you can then delete afterwards.

If it shows up in your selection list, the answer is yes. If not, unmark the solution as there would be no way to select any new folders.

Craig

• I think the simplest thing is to look at the selection list in text view.

Get in the habit of checking that each time you make a change. Sometimes if you make what seems like a simple change in the browse list, you'll spot something you didn't expect in the text view.

• Many thanks again for your replies.

The solution does work and provides me with the contingency that if any folders are created with or without my knowledge they will be backed up.

Is does also work the other way round, in that I now have to keep an eye out for any folder I don't want backing up. :-)

valid point Hywel,

Cheers,

Lance