Forum Discussion

decipher
Level 3
19 years ago

SQL 2005 remote agent on x64

Hello,

Can someone please give me a definitive answer on whether sql 2005 can be backed up if it is running on windows 2003x64, media server backup exec 10d running on windows 2003. I have applied update: 280701 and hotfix 13. I can successfully backup the file system on an x64 system but not the sql databases, either running sql 2000 or 2005. If it is supported, please do not send me a link to the HCL list. If anyone is successfull in backing up sql 2000 or 2005 on an x64 system if would be great if you could post the hotfixes that you have installed and even better the correct order to install the hotfixes and remote agent.

I am getting very frustrated because I cannot find a straight answer.

Thanks for the help.

8 Replies

• Mike,

I have backup exec 10d running on a Windows 2000 Advance Server media server. I have installed Hot Fixes 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 13 (except for #1, they're the ones that show up when you search). On my x64 Windows Server 2003 computer running SQL Server 2000, I have installed the Hotfix 1, per Symantec's instructions, including the Advanced Open File Option, and I still cannot backup open sql databases.

Add me to the list of users looking for the CORRECT answer to this question. I specifically upgraded to 10d when a Symantec sales rep told me it was what I needed to backup my x64 Windows Server 2003, SQL 2000 database.
  • Hello,

- You can backup the sql 2005 if it is running on windows 2003x64.

- Kindly refer the Software Compatibility list for the same:

Symantec Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278254

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.
  • Can you please post what agent I need on the sql 2005 remote server that is running x64 and hotfixes on the 32bit media server. I have not had any luck. Our media server is server 2003 std 32bit, running 10d. We are trying to backup windows server 2003x64 sql 2005 and another x64 server running sql 2000.

Also, can you tell me why the beta release of 11d says that it will include full support for 64 bit servers?

Like I said in my original post, I keep getting mixed answers. I really would love to beleive that I can backup my sql 2005 servers running x64 but i dont beleive it.
  • Mike,
    You misread about the 64 bit support like we did. It will not be in until the next beta is out.

Per the email
    Welcome to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d Beta program. The software is now available, and can be downloaded from: http://beta.veritas.com. Please note that the following features are not yet available in the product:
    Continuous Protection Server (CPS) and agents
    Exchange continuous protection
    Full 64-bit support
    NDMP Support
    Microsoft Operations Manager integration
    IDR support for disk and dissimilar hardware
    High performance Macintosh Agent
    These features will be added to a Beta Refresh build, available in the April timeframe.
    And no Backup Exec will not backup SQL 2000 or 2005 on 64 bit and probably never will with SQL 2000, I don't care what they say. They keep saying yes but the answer is no.
    Gary
  • Hi Gary,

What do you suppose will be inclded with the full 64bit support that will be available in April?
  • Hello,
    We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.
  • Could someone please post the hotfixes needed to get the remote agent for x64 to backup correctly with SQL 2000 and 2005? I have been battling with this for a while now and I dont seem to be making any progress. The media server is backup exec 10d running on windows server 2003 r2. The sql servers that I am trying to backup are x64 enterprise w/ SQl 2005 and x64 standard w/ sql 2000. I have x64 agents installed on this remote servers but i can only backup the file system. I receive an error when I attempt to backup sql datases, I cant recall the error as i have excleded the SQl selections from my backup job, it is something like the item can not be found or does not exist. The account that I am using has sufficeint privlages on the remote server.

I was told by a symantec rep that it is supported, I need to install the newest remote agent for x64 from Symantec's website as well as a windows hotfix. Can someone please confirm this? Or, direct me to a kb article.
  • Hello,

Please install the following hotfix on the server:

10d (10.1.5629) Hotfix 1 - Extended 64-bit (x64) Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) (Adds support for remote computers running 64-bit extended chipset Windows operating systems)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280701.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.