Forum Discussion

Mac1983
Level 4
11 years ago

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 - Replacing the Old tapes with New ones

Hello folks!

I am NEW to the world of Backups with almost no experience. I have to look after a small backup infrastructure and i wont have the time to go through the Administrator's Guide anytime soon.

My backup setup is as following:

1. Symantec Backup Exec 2010 running on Windows 2003 R2 Server.
  2. HP Storageworks 1/8 Tape Library (with 8 slots).

I have never performed anything on a Tape Device before and I am looking at the Backup Exec Administrator's console for fairly the first time.

How the backup is configured and what i need to understand is as follows:

1. Our NAS Server is configured to perform a full backup every Thursday night to Slots 6/7/8 on the Tape Device.
  2. On the BE Console > under Devices > I see Slot 6/7/8 are completely used (Media Full) and they are also set to NOT overwrite.
  3. As a result of the point mentioned above (2) the full backups have been failing for the past 2 weeks (its what i Understand but correct me if i am wrong).
  4. I do have NEW Tapes lying in the inventory. So i think replacing the Tapes in slot 6/7/8 should be a good idea.

Can anyone please suggest which direction do i go from here ? I would like to take those Tapes out (6/7/8) and put in the new ones but i understand its not as simple as replacing a Disc in a Music System :-).

I really do need this done urgently.

Thanks a LOT !

• 1. Unlock the autoloader from within BE.

2. Use the autoloader's front OCP to unlock the right magazine. Pull it out and remove the tapes. Replace the tapes and run a Scan/Inventory...

Thanks!

13 Replies