Forum Discussion

crocs
Level 4
13 years ago

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 overwrite protection period vs overwrite media

Hello everyone,

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 is installed on server0 with a single internal tape drives.

Yesterday I made ​​the backups of two servers with the remote agent on a single Tape:

server1 -> job1 -> (media set A) -> start -> 20:00

server2 -> job2 -> (media set A) -> start -> 21:00

mediaset set A:
overwrite protection period: 5 day
append to: 1 hours
When jobs begin this: overwrite media.

Today, the backups are going well with no errors.
But there were only data on the tape of job2.

How ever, as overwrite protection period is 5 days?
The option "When jobs begin this: overwrite media" ignores "overwrite protection period: 5 day" ?

Today i set Append to media , overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Tomorrow with the hope of finding both saves ( job1 + job2 ).

thx.

• Recommended setting for tape backups is " Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is found".

Is the "Overwrite Protection level" set to None. Make sure it is set to atleast partial.

Also you need to change the Append period setting, to let the backups append to the tapes long enough.

EDIT: Extract from BE 2012 admin guide: "The media overwrite protection level is a global setting that supersedes the media set’s overwrite protection period. Although the terms are similar, the media overwrite protection level and the media overwrite protection period are different. The media overwrite protection period is a timeinterval that changes from one media set to another. The media overwrite protectionlevel specifies whether to overwrite scratch, imported, or allocated media, regardless of the media’s overwrite protection period.

5 Replies

• Recommended setting for tape backups is " Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is found".

Is the "Overwrite Protection level" set to None. Make sure it is set to atleast partial.

Also you need to change the Append period setting, to let the backups append to the tapes long enough.

EDIT: Extract from BE 2012 admin guide: "The media overwrite protection level is a global setting that supersedes the media set’s overwrite protection period. Although the terms are similar, the media overwrite protection level and the media overwrite protection period are different. The media overwrite protection period is a timeinterval that changes from one media set to another. The media overwrite protectionlevel specifies whether to overwrite scratch, imported, or allocated media, regardless of the media’s overwrite protection period.
  • Yous should probably increase the append period as the backup job starts at excatly 1 hrs , even a silght delay will cause the abckup job to fail as the media would be overwrite protected.

• thx all.

I set ( media set A ):

Overwrite protection period: 5 day

Append to: 2 day.

In the job1 and job2 i set:

" Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is found".

And i set:

" overwrite protection level " : partial.

Tomorrow I'll know.

Crocs.