Forum Discussion

WikiDonor
Level 6
12 years ago

SystemState backup fails with access denied

Hello

I have a client which has the BE2010R3 on win2003 server. Trying to backup a remote win2003 DC server which is in the same network. Backup Exec account that we are using is not part of domain admins group but it is in the administrators group. When we backup the c drive it works but when we try to backup system state we are getting this error. 

V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied.

To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details

If I use NTbackup it backes up successfully. 
I tried to use IP of DC in user defined selection but that also does not work. 
Just for isolating the problem I added the backup exec account in the domain admins group and now backup works. But my client is not allowing to added backup exec account to domain admin group. 

Can anyone suggest something on this particular issue. 

Thanks in advance to everyone. 
  • Backup Exec account that we are using is not part of domain admins group but it is in the administrators group.

To backup AD which is part of the system state of a DC, the id must be a domain admin. 

6 Replies

• Hello Gurvinder,

Thank you for the prompt reply. But the article that you shared with me it says to add the user with domainname\username which is already set correctly there is no .com or .local mentioned. Any other thought you can share?

• Is the username a part of domain "administrators" group and from local Security Group -> User Rights Assignment grant the following rights to that account

Act as part of the operating system  

·Backup files and directories

·Create a token object

Log on as a batch job Log on as a service

·Restore files and directories

- Take ownership of files and other objects

Also refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74365

• Backup Exec account that we are using is not part of domain admins group but it is in the administrators group.

To backup AD which is part of the system state of a DC, the id must be a domain admin. 

• Hello Gurvinder Rait,

I am following up this article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718 and the article says that the Backup exec account should be 

• Domain Admins or Administrators.
    • Backup Operators.

In my case I am not using domain admin. Any idea

• ... then you would not be able to backup AD which is part of the system state of a DC.