Forum Discussion

Ag_BC
Level 4
10 years ago

Tape status Export Pending YES

Hi Symantec support.

I have experience the same issues as TECH60241

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60241

"Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using  the import command is displayed and the job status Queued during a backup job and overwritable media is available in the library and media sets.

I follow the step 1 and unable to resolve the issues.

And Step 2 from Symantec is not an acceptable solution as it requireq me to retire and delete the tape. I have 1 tape for my weekly FULL backup and there is no way for me to retire the tape and delete all the data on the tape until the next Cycle. Can you please provide me a details resolution how to change the export pending to NO without retire and delete the tape so the remaining job can continues write on the weekly full backup tape?

Step 2:
Make a copy of Backup Exec catalogs folder (Just in case the changes needs to be rolled back ).
NOTE: The default location of catalog folder for Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d and above is the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs.

Move the media which is in the state of "Export Pending Yes" to retired media set and then delete it.
Re-inventory the slot containing the media.  Now the export pending on that slot should show as 'No' and the media should be usable again.
  • When you retire a tape and delete it from BE, it only remove all references to the tape from the catalog as well as the BEDB.  This action does not erase the contents of the tape.  When you import and catalog the tape again, you will get all the information regarding the tape back and would be where you were before you delete the tape.

You do not have to delete the tape until you want to overwrite it.

BTW, this is an user-supported forum and nobody, including Symantec, is obliged to respond to your postings.  If you need a formal answer or urgent help, then you should log a formal support case with Symantec.

3 Replies

• When you retire a tape and delete it from BE, it only remove all references to the tape from the catalog as well as the BEDB.  This action does not erase the contents of the tape.  When you import and catalog the tape again, you will get all the information regarding the tape back and would be where you were before you delete the tape.

You do not have to delete the tape until you want to overwrite it.

BTW, this is an user-supported forum and nobody, including Symantec, is obliged to respond to your postings.  If you need a formal answer or urgent help, then you should log a formal support case with Symantec.

• Than you PHK. Obviously I logged a support case and as you know the support from Symantec is SOOO WONDERFUL, otherwise I don't have to go with this forum to ask for help.

I am still waiting for their duty manager call back and still no response.

• Are you sure that you have the same issue and root cause?  The technote you linked is for BE 2010 and older, yet you indicated that you are using BE 2014?

Have you tried exporting that tape and re-importing it?

Once BE starts requesting an overwritable tape, I don't think that there is anything htat you can do to get it to append to a tape, short of canceling and re-starting the backup job so that it can use the appendable tape.