Forum Discussion

glum
Level 4
12 years ago

Transport mode SAN

Hello!

I have a Windows Server 2008 server, and Backup Exec 2010 R3. I can take backups of VMware virtual machines
using any transport mode except SAN. I have been troubleshooting this for ages, on my own, and with support from
Dell... but we are unable to solve it. I have set up a job in which I try to make backups of a single Windows 2008 R2-
machine, and the error I get is:

Backup- VMVCB::\\10.80.16.43\VCGuestVm\(DC)NTE Bredbånd(DC)\vm\HaferbreiV-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

Dell has looked at the iSCSI-settings and done the "automount disable; automount scub" a number of times.
Is there some sort of checklist I can go through to find some sort of indication as to what might be causing the problem?

Windows Server 2008, BE 2010 R3, VMware ESXi 5

7 Replies

• If you can use any transport mode and that includes Hot-Add, then SAN and Hot-Add are mutually exclusive settings

i.e.

Hot-Add ONLY works when the media server is inside a VM

SAN does not work when media server is inside a VM

As such is your media server inside a VM?

• I hadn't seen that particular page. The section from that which I haven't checked, is:

2. The media server performing the backup can not resolve the name of the ESX server.

Name of the ESX-server? The names of my ESX-servers is the same as their IP.

• Actually, I haven't only tried Hot-Add by it self.

My media server is a physical machine, and it is not running on a hypervisor.

• Follow this article for configuring SAN Transport: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831

It should work if it is configured properly using this article

If it still fails,

• I guess 10.80.16.43 is your Vcenter server and you are backing up through Vcenter server
    • Try to backup a VM through the ESX host directly (Add using root a/c) using SAN transport mode
    • If it succeeds, i suspect the account used may not have full permissions to backup through Vcenter
    • Add the account with Administrator role in Vsphere at Vcenter level and run the backup through Vcenter
    • If it fails even through ESX, reinstall the Vmware agent license in BE 2010 (Remove the license - Next screen uncheck the Vmware agent under the "Options available for trial" - Once it is completely removed, reinstall it)

Regards,

John

• "Try to backup a VM through the ESX host directly (Add using root a/c) using SAN transport mode"

What root account is this? The SSH one? Does SSH need to be enabled on the ESXi host?

• In order to backup directly through the Host, you need to add the ESX server in the Backup selections (Just the same way you have added Vcenter server there)
    • In order to see the resources from the host, you will need to use the Root account in BE which is used to connect to the host