Forum Discussion

tambui
Level 3
8 years ago

"Unable to create the Utility Items. Unknown reason: {0}"

Hi everyone,

I have just replaced tape drive but when I run Inventory or scan, it says "Unable to create the utility items. Unknown reason 0. 

My backup server is a windows server 2008 R2, BE 2012 v14, SQL2005.

Anyone can help this please!

Thanks a lot!

Tam

• 1) On the BE console, delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the BE server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the BE server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

7) Try again.

You should be planning to upgrade from BE 2012 very soon.  It is very close to EOL.

5 Replies

• Is this a stand-alone tape drive?  or a tape drive in a tape library?

Have you rebooted the server since then?

tambui
      Level 3

Hi Larry,

This is tape drive on a tape library. I have rebooted server when connect it with tape library.

Thanks,

Tam 

tambui
        Level 3

Hi Larry,

This is tape drive on a tape library. I have rebooted server when connect it with tape library.

Thanks,

Tam 

• 1) On the BE console, delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the BE server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the BE server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

7) Try again.

You should be planning to upgrade from BE 2012 very soon.  It is very close to EOL.