Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Verifying taking much longer that backup ?

I have BE2010 installed on MS Windows 2008 R2. Backing up on SAS hard disk and appropriate 'agents' are enabled and installed.
Backup starts at 22:00 and completes without warning.  But verify starts at ~00:45 and proceeds until ~04:50.
I cannot understand why verify is taking so long.
Any assistance greatly appreciated,
Martin

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Before I decided to format my disk, Try do defrag with a "real" tool instead of the basic defrag that come from Windows. I used Diskkeeper.  This tool indicate that 100% of my disk was fragmented.  It was a totally different result from Windows defrag tool....

After the defrag with the new tool my analyze problem after my backup is corrected.  The analyze now take only 30min instead of 4 hours.  Plus a speed up my backup.

Now I understand that Windows default defrag tool is really a bad tool.

Thanks for your help guys,

dondadallc
      Level 1

I had the same issue: running backups to a network drive and the verify took 12+ hours and then lately, 48+ hours before cancelling.  What was puzzling me, though, was that for a 200G backup, the verify bit count was ever increasing to over a TB before I finally just cancelled the job.

But thanks for that solution.  I downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper Server Edition and clicked on the optimized button for my 4TB RAID 10 drive.  It was finished in 5 minutes.

I ran a backup last night and whadayahknow... it verified within a resonable (expected) period of time!

Thank again!

• Don't you think the solution should have been marked to Collin Weaver who pointed it rightly?