Forum Discussion

TheMagyar
Level 3
14 years ago

VMWare backup failing

Hello all,

I've got an issue when trying to backup vSphere 4 VMs using Backup 2010R2.  It's an intermittent issue, so I'm not exactly sure of the cause.

I have between 15-20 VMs to be backed up.  Everytime I run a backup job I will get one or two VM backups failing with the error below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 5:27:51 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00095a7 - The operation failed because the virtual center or ESX server reported that the virtual machine's configuration is invalid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38311

It's frustrating, because I will then run a seperate job after the failed job and the VMs complete without any errors.  The link that Symantec provide does not contain any information. The credentials for the job are good, the media device is a local disk - not sure if any further information is required!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Magyar

15 Replies

• No i did not log a case. In my case I have resolved the issue. Problem started when i was having another issue with our backup job so i created a new backup with just the one server.

I started getting the exact same issue your getting. When i compared the backup job to my production job I noticed that that the new job was defaulting to the logon for the esx server rather than the logon of our backupexec account under credentials.

I changed the logon to the proper account then re-ran the job and no longer received the error. So you may want to check if its a permission issue or verify it is using the correct account.

Might not help you but that was my issue. Hope that helps

• Hi SteveBM,

I don't suppose you have logged a call with Symantec?  Have you any idea what's going on?  It could be good to compare some notes.

Magyar
  • Hi Bob,

The OS on the VM servers are Windows Server 2003 (32bit).  The Media server is Windows 2003R2 (64-bit).
    There are a pool of about 3-4 servers that cause me this issue.  As I said earlier, it is an intermittent issue affecting roughly 1 in 3 backups.

TheMagyar
  • What is the OS on the servers that are failing ?
    And is it every time the same VM's that gives the error ?