Forum Discussion

O_Jay
Level 3
10 years ago

VMWare Host backups hanging on tracking.log

Hi,

I am running Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray Edition. When I backup several of the guests on my ESXi host the backup hangs for ages backing up \System Volume Information\tracking.log. The byte count doesn't increase and the job rate doesn't change.

I would be happy to just deselect the whole folder but you don't have that option at the host level.

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

• OK... since completely removing and re-adding the virtual host to BE I have been able to get successful backup all week.

Maybe worth a try for you too DKK.

I am however getting two of the guests not able to do GRT enabled backups even though the credentials verify successfully and I am able to browse both servers in the selection of the indivual servers on the Backup and Restore servers view.

• Hi O_Jay,

my backup job runs now successfully without hanging, i have take many steps to reach this result:

1) run: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

2) uninstall BE Agent | reinstall Agent (push) on all servers where the job has hung up

3) defrag of all partitions on all servers

4) check all event logs to critical errors

5) Boot from Windows Server Disk and run CHKDSK with options /F and /R for all disks  -> some errors have been fixed

6) changed order of the virtual server in the backup job

7) Install all available Windows Updates for the VM‘s

8) Set the backup exec user rights to Folder "System Volume Information" on all servers where the job has hung up

9) In the backup job settings disable GRT for SQL and Sharepoint

Unfortunately I do not know exactly what has solved the problem.

• One of the recent ones was actually GRT on SQl database I didn't need so I turned GRT off and the other I tinkered with the credentials until it was happy. I got my first successful (i.e. not hung or "Completed with Exceptions") backup last night. So for now this is resolved.

Like DKK though I don't really know exactly how I fixed it but removing and re-adding the hostto the Backup Exec server seemed to be the clincher in my case.

17 Replies