Forum Discussion

Giermo
Level 3
11 years ago

VSS timeout issues, restart not suitable solution

Hello I have had continual issues with vss writers time outs on one of our machines we are backing up. Running Windows Server 2008R2 SP1, using BE2010 R3 SP1 The vss writers continue to cause t...
    11 years ago

Hello Giermo,

Greetings!

I am pretty sure we (Symantec and you) both share a common honest intention of resolving this issue at its earliest.

Now few technical facts to note, that the issue is caused due to timeout problem with VSS writers.

Additionally, I find that IIS Config Writer and WMI Writers have similar problem.

These Writers (System writer, IIS Config Writer and WMI Writers) are integral part of operating system, a Microsoft proprietary and is responsible for multiple OS activities, apart from Backup /restore.

Now seeking help from Symantec support to fix the OS issues, (Whose expertise is not questionable, but confined to BE Application) will be like hiring a carpenter and not cobbler to make your shoes.

We need to seek thoughts from OS expertise to reduce the risk of landing into bigger OS troubles.

This is probably the reason why you are directed to Microsoft support.

Kind regards,

S