Forum Discussion

Pan-YanRu
Level 3
9 years ago

what will does the Backup Exec do as I insert magazine ?

Hi All:

I use Backup Exec 15 on Windows 2012 R2.

Library : IBM TS3100

when I want to change a lot of tape which in the Tape library.

I would take out the magazine instead of I/O station.

After I done.

Do I need to do anything manually or what will does BE  do automatically ? 

Thank you ^.^

• When magazines are removed/inserted, BE is not aware of these events and will not do anything. To update the library status in BE, you need to do either a scan or an inventory. You can only do a scan if you are using barcode labels. Otherwise, you need to do an inventory. If you do a scan and you find that the tapes are not properly recognised and placed in their media sets, then do an inventory. This is a known problem

4 Replies

• Do your tapes have bar codes on them?  If so, then all that should be needed is to run a "scan" job in Backup Exec, which is pretty quick.  If you are not using bar codes, then you will need to run an inventory of the changed tapes.

• When magazines are removed/inserted, BE is not aware of these events and will not do anything. To update the library status in BE, you need to do either a scan or an inventory. You can only do a scan if you are using barcode labels. Otherwise, you need to do an inventory. If you do a scan and you find that the tapes are not properly recognised and placed in their media sets, then do an inventory. This is a known problem