Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Why are the tapes marked overwriteable?

When I put in expired tapes to the tape machine, Backup Exec is marking all the tapes overwriteable and linking them together. I only have 6 tapes availible to write on to. I used to have only two overwriteable tapes. Why is Backup Exec making all the tapes overwriteable and how do i reset the tape to normal so it can be written on. 

We are running backup exec 2012 on windows server 2008 r2 standard. 

• Have you got Media Protection (in the overall BE settings) set to None? as if you have this will ignore any Overwrite protection in your media sets.

I am also not sure what you mean by linking them together but otherwise agree with Larry Fine if the tapes are expired then for a tape this means overwritable.

4 Replies

• Why is Backup Exec making all the tapes overwriteable and how do i reset the tape to normal so it can be written on.

"expired", "overwritable", "normal" all pretty much mean the same thing (that the tape can be used when needed), so I don't understand your question.  Once the overwrite protection time has expired, the tape becomes overwritable, which is what I think you want?

• If you look at the attachment the tapes that are overwriteable are in blue. we have a media set called keep for 8 weeks. The tapes that are written to need to have the same OverWrite Protection until option enabled.

• Have you got Media Protection (in the overall BE settings) set to None? as if you have this will ignore any Overwrite protection in your media sets.

I am also not sure what you mean by linking them together but otherwise agree with Larry Fine if the tapes are expired then for a tape this means overwritable.

• If you look at the attachment the tapes that are overwriteable are in blue. we have a media set called keep for 8 weeks.

I don't see anything wrong with your attachmnt, can you clarify please?

I see tapes in blue (which means that they are overwritable).  They are in a media set called "keep data for 8 weeks", but the allocated date of the blue tapes is 2014 or 2015, which is more than 8 weeks ago, hence they are overwritable.