Forum Discussion

20 years ago

win2003 restore / new hard drive

I'm trying to install a new hard drive to replace some older drives in my Windows 2003 server.

After installing the operating system and Veritas BE 9.1 I catalogued my full backup along with the last differential backup and started a restore job.

1--I restored everything from the windows partition along with the system state, but my server would not join the domain afterwards. I've since read that in order to restore system state you need to be in safe mode. ? (is this correct?) Should I restore the system state before, after, or at the same time as I restore the rest of the C:\ (which is my windows system partition)

2--I tried the restore twice, but I also kept running into an issue where the veritas shortcuts could no longer find the program (backup exec) after I ran a restore. After redirecting the shortcuts , i could no longer log into the media server because some of the services couldnt be found. Is this the same issue as the previous paragraph? Or do i need to make sure veritas is installed on the same partition on the new hard drive as it was on the old hd?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

• Hello,

Please refer these technotes to recover your server:

1. Title : Disaster recovery of a Local Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 computer (includes non-authoritative restore of Active Directory for a domain controller)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236240

2. Title : Disaster Recovery of a remote Windows 2000 or 2003 computer (includes non-authoritative restore of Active Directory for a domain controller)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236286

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.
  • why do the tech support articles say to install backup exec to a directory other than where it was originally installed....

calilng phone support... i hear that i need to install to a separate hard drive...

?? :-(