Forum Discussion

Vdang
Level 4
11 years ago

Windows Server 2012 VSS Snapshot issue

Hello, We recently added a Windows 2012 Server to our backup and it contain serveral SQL 2012 databases. To make things short I have about three Jobs for this particular server, one job with j...
    11 years ago

Hi.  Thank you for collecting all of the diagnostic information.  Based on this information, I suspect that the 'Nimble Storage VSS Provider' VSS Hardware Provider is most likely the cause of your VSS snapshot difficulties.  To work around the possible VSS Hardware Provider difficulty, there are a few solutions listed below.  Please review, evaluate, and perform one of these possible solutions and let me know the outcome.  Hope this proves helpful. Thank you.

(A) From Backup Exec 2012,   Configure the Advanced Open File to use the Microsoft VSS System Provider and disable Checkpoint Restart.  SELECT Advanced Open File – Snapshot Configuration – Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Server (Windows 2003 and later) – Snapshot provider: -  ‘System – Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider’.  Also, UNSELECT  ‘Enable checkpoint restart’ (for the  Backup Options and\or Job Defaults).

OR

(B) From the Registry, Configure VSS to always use the Microsoft VSS System Provider.  Create and Set the following Registry value to DWORD 1: ‘HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\useMicrosoftProvider’.  Note, a reboot is required.

OR

(C) Investigate and correct any issues with the 'Nimble Storage VSS Provider' VSS Hardware Provider.

OR

(D) Disable or Uninstall the 'Nimble Storage VSS Provider' VSS Hardware Provider.