Forum Discussion

mli7777
Level 5
11 years ago

Writers keep failing

On the server I have BE 2012 SP2 loaded the backup of itself keeps failing. I keep getting VSS snapshot unexpected provider errors. During the backup the writers mentioned below are running fine....
    11 years ago

Hi.  Thanks again for the data!  There appears to be an issue with the System volume (\\?\Volume{54e0d5e2-e244-11e1-ac16-806e6f6e6963}).  The System volume appears to be offline.  The System volume contains the BCD Store, which is a part of the System State ASR component.  Resolving the System State backup failure can be as easy as running a command, however, since I do not know why the system volume is offline the command can ultimately fail.  If the command does succeeds, then the System State backup may succeed.  If the command fails, then the reason for the System volume being offline will require more involved diagnostics that cannot be conducted within the forum.  With that said, when able, please execute the below commands.  If successful, then re-try the previously failing System State backup job.  Please let me know the outcome either way.  Good luck and thank you.

(21)(a)  C:\>DISKPART
    (21)(b)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME

(21)(c)   DISKPART> SELECT VOLUME 1
    Note, the 100MB Offline volume should now be selected.  Info:”Offline”.

(21)(d)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, ensure that the 100MB Offline volume is selected.  An “*” will appear on the left of the volume.

(21)(e)  DISKPART> ONLINE VOLUME
    Note, a success or failure message should be reported. 

(21)(f)   DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, confirm that the 100MB Offline volume is now online.  Label:“System Rese”.  Info:”System”.

(21)(g)  DISKPART> EXIT

(22)  C:\>BCDEDIT /ENUM
    Note, if the online command is successful, then the BCD Store should now be successfully enumerated.