Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Yet another WMI error question with w2k server

I searched as best I could but cannot seem to find a simple answer in the forum to my question. I have a server running 10d and am trying to backup another server running Windows 2000 server but I am occassionally getting WMI backup errors. I found lots of documentation for a resolution but none have helped with the possible exception of the 4th step which I am not sure pertains to windows 2000...

1) I made sure the service is running and set to Automatic start.

2) There is well over a gig of free space on the drive volume.

3) Ran the rebuild for the WMI.

4) The last step is to deselect the wbem folder from 'C:\winnt\system32' in the selection list. One doc states that this can be done because WMI is backed up with Shadow Copy Components but this is only in 2003 server.

Another doc states that selecting System State will include WMI and that 'c:\winnt\system32\wbem' can be deselected in the regular selection list as long as System State is selected. It does not stipulate which versions of Windows server this can be done to.

Yet another doc states that WMI is backed up with System State but only when Shadow Copy Components are backed up.

It seems obvious to me that you can deselect \winnt\system32\wbem if you are backing up a 2003 server but what about a regular 2000 server? Is the WMI data being backed up with the System State? I have had someone tell me you cannot deselect it in windows 2000 but some of the documentation almost sounds like you can. What on earth is the official answer from the Veritas experts?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

• I am very interested in the "Official" response you get. I have two remaining w2k servers that I periodically get WMI errors on. I have attempted to follow the same postings you have and have even gone as far as to take the system state off the backup for these two servers.

However I still get WMI failures on these two servers.
  • Hello,

Refer to this document:

During the backup of a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server, the following error is returned: "An error occurred while exporting the WMI Repository files. The WMI Repository could not be backed up."

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253921