Forum Discussion

mokkan
Level 6
11 years ago

LLT over or UDP or Ethernet

Hello,

When to setup hearbeat Link, which one we need to choose LLT over Ethernet or UDP? Can you explain the senario when to use Ethernet and when to use UDP?

• Symantec recommends that you configure heartbeat links that use LLT over Ethernet, unless hardware requirements force you to use LLT over UDP. If you want to configure LLT over UDP, make sure you meet the prerequisites.

UDP makes LLT packets routable and thus able to span longer distances more economically.

Reder to admin guide for building the understanding

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0/linux/productguides/html/vcs_install/ch08s05.htm

G

• Also to note, The LLT-over-UDP configuration works over the IP layer, and is therefore a little slower than the LLT-over-Ethernet configuration

G

• "public network" means it is a network used by other things (i.e it has IP addresses assigned) as oppose to a private network which is private just for LLT.

A low-pri heartbeat on a "public network" can still use LLT over Ethernet (so LLT doesn't use the IPs on the interfaces) and this is the norm.

You cannot use a mix of LLT over ethernet and UDP - you must use one or the other for all links (including low-pri)

Mike

9 Replies

• Usually you should use LLT over Ethernet - you only need to use UDP if  you need a route between your links as LLT over Ethernet is non routable.

Mike

• Symantec recommends that you configure heartbeat links that use LLT over Ethernet, unless hardware requirements force you to use LLT over UDP. If you want to configure LLT over UDP, make sure you meet the prerequisites.

UDP makes LLT packets routable and thus able to span longer distances more economically.

Reder to admin guide for building the understanding

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0/linux/productguides/html/vcs_install/ch08s05.htm

G

• Also to note, The LLT-over-UDP configuration works over the IP layer, and is therefore a little slower than the LLT-over-Ethernet configuration

G

• Thank you Very much for all the info.  If I understand correctly,  if we are configuring LLT in same subnet don't need the UDP.  If we are confiuguring LLT and needs to be routed through different network, then need to configure UDP. Am I right?

• There is a document to add low priority link using public network. What does it mean by public network?

If we are using public network I can't use LLT over ethernet right ? I need to  use LLT over UDP right? I need to have mix of LLT over thernet and UDP ?

• After configuring 2 high priority link for LLT, you can keep addition redundancy by having a low pri link. This low pri link is usually the public network link on server which is configured for accessing applications or database on server.

High priority links are used for cluster communications to GAB as well as heartbeat signals. Low priority links, during normal operation, are used for heartbeat and link state maintenance only, and
    the frequency of heartbeats is reduced to 50% of normal to reduce network overhead.
    If there is a failure of all configured high priority links, LLT will switch all cluster communications traffic to the first available low priority link. Communication traffic will revert back to the high priority links as soon as they
    become available.

Also, note, if its a SFRAC setup, Symantec does not recommend using low pri link as it may flood SFRAC data if high pri links fail

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/vcs/5.1sp1/aix/productguides/html/vcs_notes/ch01s08s18s03.htm

As long as connection is made for low pri link & LLT can detect it, I don't believe there is any specific recommendation to use low pri link on UDP

G

• "public network" means it is a network used by other things (i.e it has IP addresses assigned) as oppose to a private network which is private just for LLT.

A low-pri heartbeat on a "public network" can still use LLT over Ethernet (so LLT doesn't use the IPs on the interfaces) and this is the norm.

You cannot use a mix of LLT over ethernet and UDP - you must use one or the other for all links (including low-pri)

Mike