Forum Discussion

Zahid_Haseeb
12 years ago

VCS 6.0 cant directly upgraded to 6.0.1 for Solaris 10 ?

Environment

OS = Solaris 10

VCS/HA = 6.0

I want to upgrade the vcs 6.0. I saw two things under the SORT web site. See first for the rederence below:

When I select my installed product/Version/Platform, I can see that I have sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0RP1 Rolling Patch as an update. But when I select Select a product version 6.0.1 it gives me an update name sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0.1 Maintenance Release , means we also have an update name sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0.1 Maintenance Release which is more latest than sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0RP1. So why I am not able to directly update my product to sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0.1 Maintenance Release.

• There is a problem with SORT because as you have pointed out, if you select 6.0.1 as the version you have, it lists 6.0.1 as a patch you can apply and you can't apply 6.0.1 to itself, so if you look at other patches like 5.1SP1, this doesn't list itself, only patches that can be applied to 5.1SP1.

If you follow 6.0.1 link then this also says this can ONLY be appplied to itself - https://sort.symantec.com/patch/detail/6756 :

Applies to one or more of the following products:
    Symantec VirtualStore 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Cluster Server 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation for Sybase ASE CE 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation HA 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Upgrade directly to 6.0.1 using the installer script.
    on page 89

Mike

6 Replies

• There is a problem with SORT because as you have pointed out, if you select 6.0.1 as the version you have, it lists 6.0.1 as a patch you can apply and you can't apply 6.0.1 to itself, so if you look at other patches like 5.1SP1, this doesn't list itself, only patches that can be applied to 5.1SP1.

If you follow 6.0.1 link then this also says this can ONLY be appplied to itself - https://sort.symantec.com/patch/detail/6756 :

Applies to one or more of the following products:
    Symantec VirtualStore 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Cluster Server 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation for Sybase ASE CE 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Veritas Storage Foundation HA 6.0.1 On Solaris 10 SPARC
    Upgrade directly to 6.0.1 using the installer script.
    on page 89

Mike

• Thanks for your words Mike. The below(sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0.1 Maintenance Release) means its a sfha version 6.0.1....The below does not means that its a Maintenance Pack of 6.0.1

sfha-sol10_sparc-6.0.1 Maintenance Release.

• There are no MPs for 6.0, or 6.0.1.  6.0.1 is a Maintenance Release which is just yet another type of the seamingly unending growing types of patches, so now there are 9 types of patches !!

SP=Service Pack; PR=Platform Release; MP=Maintenance Pack; RP=Rolling Patch; P=P-patch; CP=Cumulative Patch; PP=Point Patch; HF=Hot Fix; MR=Maintenance Release

The latest version of SFHA is essentially 6.0.1, so this is the recommended version to have installed.  (you should only install a HF or PP if the issues these fix are relevent to you).

6.0.1 can be applied to 6.0 - i.e SORT is wrong, the 6.0.1 install guide is right.

Mike

• Thanks Mike, we will bring this to the attention of the SORT team.

As for the versioning aspect, SFHA 6.0.1 was the first SFHA release to use the new versioning which provides consistency with our enterprise products. Going forward it should reduce confusion associated with MPs/RPs/PRs etc.

From release notes:

"Symantec made some changes to simplify the versioning process to ensure that customers have a unified experience when it comes to deploying our different products across Storage, Availability, Backup, Archiving and Enterprise Security products. With this change, all the products will have a 3 digit version. Incomplying with this approach, the current SFHA Solutions release is available as version 6.0.1."

cheers

tony

• Thanks Mike and Tony for your kind words. Giving thumb to both and marking the post as solution Mike ;-)

@ Tony / Symantec Nice Move

ferent products across Storage, Availability, Backup, Archiving and Enterprise Security products. With this change, all the products will have a 3 digit version. Incomplying with this approach, the current SFHA Solutions release is available as version 6.0.1."

@ Mike

thanks for making the thing simple as I only need to run the 6.0.1 installer to upgrade my 6.0 version

• Just a follow up, the SORT team have now corrected this on the SORT portal.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

cheers

tony