Forum Discussion

Elvis_L_
Level 3
14 years ago

VCS Warning for Unknown State

Hi, I just curious why I received a Warning notification for Netlsnr Resource Group when the error is not logged into engine_A.log I have read the VCS documentation but the only hint I have is th...
    14 years ago

Hi Elvis L,

The monitor entry point of all resources have basically 3 return values for the state of a resource.  The states are Online, Offline or Unknown.  If the Monitor entry point is not able to determine if a resource is Online or Offline then it returns Unknown.

The Unknown warning is just to let you know that VCS was unable to determine the known state of the resource.  Given that the state of the resource is unknown by VCS, VCS will not be able to control the resource.  In other words, VCS can not online or offline a resource that is in an Unknown state.

Most of the time there is nothing really reported in the Engine log for this.  You might find something in the agent specfic log on the node that was having problems probling the resource.  But you might not.  If you don't, then try increasing the LogDbg settings on that resource to increase logging and wait for the issue to reoccur.

Thanks,

Wally

FYi - There are actually 10 return codes for Online state with increasing levels of confidence in the Online state of a given resource.  The 3 return states that I mentioned are for simlicity.