Forum Discussion

tanislavm
Level 6
11 years ago

vxvm metadata recover

Hi, I have an disk group imported on a certain box and one logical volume has metada corrupted. Is there a way to recover the corrupted metada of that logical volume in production and the real data to be still there?Maybe with filesystem mounted?Or I should unmounts this file system? If I try to recreate from the beginning this logical volume with vxassist make,then the real data will be affected?is this a good way to have logical volume back online and the real data still there? vxmend helps? tnx so much. marius

• Hi Marius,

Yes, once disk is initialized in Veritas, vxvm will put a private region on the disk which will contain a header or details of that disk. Some of the disks private region in disksgroup contains the whole diskgroup configuration, if you want to see which disks in a diskgroup contains whole diskgroup configuration, you need to execute "vxdg list <diskgorup>"

for e.g see the output below

# vxdg list codb_racdg049
    flags:     shared cds
    version:   140
    local-activation: shared-write
    cluster-actv-modes: nbcodb01=sw nbcodb02=sw nbcodb03=sw nbcodb04=sw
    detach-policy: global
    dg-fail-policy: dgdisable
    copies:    nconfig=2 nlog=2
    config disk c10t10d3 copy 1 len=24072 disabled
    config disk c10t10d4 copy 1 len=24072 state=clean online <<<<<<<<<<< disk containing config copy
    config disk c10t10d5 copy 1 len=24072 state=clean online  <<<<<<<<<<<<disk containing config copy

Once you create a filesystem on a logical volume, each filesystem will have its own superblock.

Hope this answers.

G

16 Replies