Forum Discussion

Kaiser
Level 3
16 years ago

how to eliminate backups from an windows agent

I need to delete the backups in the storage pool from a windows agent.

thank you

• Kaiser wrote:

I need to eliminate old backups.

So I'll read that as you are selecting my first option.  You don't have to do much- once you delete a data selection or an agent, all backups for that object become unrecoverable.  Since the data is de-duped across agents/data selections, you don't want to delete the data wholesale- the internal maintenance processes (you have those scheduled per the Best Practices of course) will remove any orphaned blocks as needed thus freeing up appropriate disk space.

If what you meant was my 2nd option- then just change the retention period in the data removal policy.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • So are you retiring the agent and needing to eliminate old backups, or are you trying to effectively reduce the retention time on a particular agent?

• Kaiser wrote:

I need to eliminate old backups.

So I'll read that as you are selecting my first option.  You don't have to do much- once you delete a data selection or an agent, all backups for that object become unrecoverable.  Since the data is de-duped across agents/data selections, you don't want to delete the data wholesale- the internal maintenance processes (you have those scheduled per the Best Practices of course) will remove any orphaned blocks as needed thus freeing up appropriate disk space.

If what you meant was my 2nd option- then just change the retention period in the data removal policy.