Forum Discussion

Rajeshgang
Level 3
8 years ago

636 read from input socket failed

Hi,

All backups got failed with error 636 due to network connectivity issue between master and media server ( master and media servers are in different networks). Is there any solution for the backups to get in incomplete status instead of getting errored with 636. 

Rajesh

10 Replies

• Basically you need to solve the network connectivity, and you should not go for incomplete but successfully backups.

But without more information we will not be able you. Need information like Server OS, are there firewall between master and media.

Rajeshgang
      Level 3

OS -Linux

Firewall is there between media and master

Rajeshgang
      Level 3

Michael_G_Ander wrote:

Basically you need to solve the network connectivity, and you should not go for incomplete but successfully backups.

---

Due to errored jobs we are forced to start backups from the beginning whcih actually waste the time.

In case any connectivity issue happens between master and media then the backup jobs( especially full backups) will get the status incomplete? then we can resume the jobs once the network issue get solved.

Rajesh

Michael_G_Ander
        Level 6

Set the TCP keepalive on master, media and clients to less than the firewall idle session timeout (Usually around 5 minutes)

Rajeshgang
      Level 3

nbutech wrote:

Does normal communications between master and media server work ?

Are the requested ports opened between them ?

Hi
      Below is the scenario.
      some full backups were running for 9 days and and all of them got errroed (error code 636) due to firewall connectivity  issue( network failure)  which is between master and media network. The issue got resolved within 2 hours and I couldn't resume the jobs since all are in errored status. I had to resubmit all the jobs from the scratch and lost 9 days time frame. So I  want to know if there any option for avoiding this kind of errors in the future.
      Thanks
      Rajesh

Michael_G_Ander
        Level 6

This setup sounds like all kinds of wrong to me.

Why have a firewall if it allows idle connections for more than a day ?

Backups shouldn't run for more than a day either, I would claim a backup that as run for more than week is as good as worthless. Besides that you way too vunerable to glitches within that timeframe as you have discovered.

Really think this needs to be redesigned with focus on backup performance. See the Planning and Performance Tuning guide.