Forum Discussion

gkman
Level 5
8 years ago

AD GRT - vmware snapshot

Hi, this must be a subject discussed countless of times- regardless I havn't quite found the answers I was looking for. I am trying to figure out if I can and should backup Active Directory using v...
    Marianne
    8 years ago

If I search NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide  for GRT, this is what I find:

For Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL applications, NetBackup for VMware
    supports Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) restores from full backups only.

AD or Active Directory does not appear in this manual.
    So, my guess is that it is unsupported or else undocumented.

If you need GRT, then probably best to treat the DC as a normal client.

Lowell_Palecek
    6 years ago

There is confusion at the top of the thread because terminology in Backup Exec differs from NetBackup.

To rephrase the question, what kind of GRT restore can I do from a VMware backup?

Answer: Normal files, Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL Server. Not AD.

For AD GRT, you need to make an MS-Windows backup. It does use a snapshot, but the snapshot is taken on the client, not from the the outside as in a VMware backup.

Reason: Active Directory uses a database, with the same JET database engine as Exchange uses. Exchange restores from a VMware backup need an agent on the VM to work with the Exchange VSS writer. Restores (whether database or GRT) work with the Exchange VSS writer, using metadata captured by the backup ASC job and data from the VMware backup image. AD restores would take parallel work, which we didn't do.